Our skin can be like a sponge!
It readily absorbs much of what it comes in contact with.
Unlike food that is broken down by saliva and digestive enzymes, chemicals can be absorbed right through the skin without the aid of enzymes. They go directly into your bloodstream. They can then wreak havoc throughout your body and can be toxic to the liver, kidneys and other organs.
Many of us don’t realize the potential danger we put ourselves in every day when we use personal care products.
Shampoos, Soaps, Lotions
Many of these contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) which has a powerful level of skin penetration and a degenerative effect on cell membranes. Another is Sodium Laureth Lauryl Sulfate (SLES) which is a skin irritant and can lead to hair follicle damage and liver toxicity. These and other toxic chemicals are added to personal care products to…”Soften Your Skin”…”Give You Shinier Hair”…”Make Your Hair Appear Thicker”… and other promises to entice you to buy their products. Daily use of these products exposes your body to countless chemicals that can get stuck in your body, build up and cause serious health issues.
So What Can You Do?
- READ labels and see exactly what the ingredients are. Just because it may say “natural” doesn’t mean they are safe. There is no legal definition for the word natural. Avoid products with ingredients that you can’t pronounce.
- Invest in a good water filter for your tap and your shower. It isn’t necessary to spend a lot of money, but you are investing in your long term health.
***Click here to view a list of harmful toxins to avoid when shopping for personal care items.
~Dr. Richard Sowerby
Certified Master, Nutrition Response Testing